I saw this at Quirky is a Compliment and thought I’d play along.
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I was just thinking about this the other day. Usually I’m all about the wrapping paper. Whatever cute, inexpensive kind I can find. But after cleaning out our guest room I located about 3 dozen gift bags. So now this year I’m thinking about maybe using gift bags. It just seems weird though so I’m not sure.
2. Real tree or artificial? Artificial. Growing up we had a real tree – or at least something close to it. One year we had a tumbleweed. Seriously. I’ll have to tell you about it some time. It was the best Christmas ever. But since having my own family we’ve always had an artificial tree.
3. When do you put up the tree? It seems that every year is a little different but it’s usually the weekend after Thanksgiving or close to that.
4. When do you take down the tree? Sometime after January 1st. Last year we had just brought Belle home so I’m pretty sure it stayed up a little longer than usual. And this year we’ll be bringing Pip home so who knows!
5. Do you like egg nog? Honestly, I’ve never even tried egg nog so I’m not sure if I like it. But it just sounds gross so I don’t think I’ll be trying it anytime soon.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? I think it was the year of the Tumbleweed Tree (see question #2). Us kids got one present and my sister and I got the same present. It was a doll with dark skin and the prettiest dress. I’m not sure why that Christmas stands out but it does.
7. Do you have a nativity scene? Yep. I think we have a couple. Hubby wouldn’t agree to buy the big huge blow up nativity scene for the yard though. He was ok with buying the big Jeep with Santa in it but not the nativity scene. What is this world coming to!?!
8. Hardest person to buy for? I can’t really think of anyone that’s hard to buy for. Everyone in my family is so gracious no matter what they receive. And besides that we’ve really cut back on gifts the past year or so, so that makes it a little easier.
9. Easiest person to buy for? Probably Princess. She makes out a great Christmas list and she is the most practical person in the world. Like this year she asked for a road trip with Hubby to a college she’s looking at going to. Silly kid, her daddy would do that in a second, she doesn’t need to ask for it for Christmas. Or she asked for a wireless card because the one we had bought her awhile back had broke. One year she had like three things on her list. Ok, maybe this makes her the hardest person to buy for because she’s so unselfish and doesn’t really want or need much for Christmas so we have to think of things on our own to buy for her!
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Um, is neither an option? Last year I actually got cards made up but never sent them out. Ya, big fat waste of money. This year I don’t think I’m even going to waste my time. Maybe (MAYBE) I’ll do a New Years card. We certainly had a pretty eventful end of 2007 and 2008!
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? I can’t really think of a worst gift. Isn’t any gift a good gift?
12. Favorite Christmas movie? Probably It’s A Wonderful Life. And even though they aren’t really “Christmas” movies some others also came to mind that we always seem to watch at Christmas time: Sound of Music, Little Women, Gilmore Girls. Ok, we watch Gilmore Girls 365 so that one probably doesn’t count.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? I’m your crazy Christmas Eve shopper. Oh, yes I am. I might get a few things before Christmas Eve but pretty much every year you’ll find me finishing up last minute things on Christmas Eve. I think this is a family curse because I’m pretty sure everyone else in my family does the same thing. I’ll call my mom or brother or sister and ask them when they are getting to our house or where they are at (on Christmas Eve) and sure enough, they are at the store buying their gifts.
However, this year I have turned over a new leaf. Thanks to Little Pip. We have Princess’s gifts bought. We are almost done with Belle and Prince’s gifts. Still have to get Princess’s scooter but that’s it. (HA HA – just fooling ya Princess!) Have to get some extended family gifts still but I am so far ahead of the game compared to past years. Woo hoo!
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I can’t remember what the gift was but I’m pretty sure I’ve done this before. So would that qualify as a worst gift? (See question #11)
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Princess’s mom makes these amazing peanut butter balls and we usually get some of those. Yummo! Otherwise I can’t really think of a favorite thing. I pretty much just like all food.
16. Clear or colored Christmas lights? Anything really. There’s a house on our street that’s decorated with red and white lights and it’s SO pretty! That’s my favorite right now.
17. Favorite Christmas song? Princess has this Christmas CD called “Another Rosie Christmas”. I have to be honest and say I’m not a fan of Rosie O’Donnell but this CD is the best. It’s got some traditional songs but our favorite is “Merry Christmas From the Family” featuring the Dixie Chicks. It’s very corny and downright rude. But every year we drive around looking at Christmas lights listening to this CD. And Princess and I get to annoy Hubby by singing the songs at the top of our lungs!
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Depends on the year. Hubby’s family all live in the same town so we never have to travel – unless you count going across town. My family lives two hours away and usually we rotate each year. I think this year we will be traveling there, depending on when Little Pip comes.
19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer? Actually I didn’t think I could but I just sang the song to myself and I was able to. Impressive!?!
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? The past few years we’ve had an angel. One that Hubby’s family had when he was little. But this year Hubby mentioned he’d like to get a new tree topper so we’ll see what we find.
21. Open presents Christmas eve or morning? With Hubby’s family we open presents Christmas Eve. And then we let our kids open a few on Christmas Eve too. Then Christmas morning we open the rest of our presents, just with our immediate family. Every year is different with my family – sometimes Christmas Eve, sometimes Christmas morning. So I guess the simple answer would be “both”!
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? I try not to get annoyed because really, what’s the point. Something that does frustrate me – or maybe a better way to describe it is sadness – in people missing out on experiencing the wonder of the celebration of Jesus being born.
23. Favorite ornament theme or color? I wouldn’t call it a theme but we have a tradition in our family that Hubby started with Princess in that each year we buy the kids an ornament. Princess’s birthday is in December, Belle’s is in October and Pip’s is in December so we give them their ornament for their birthday. This year is a little sad because it’s the last year we’ll give Princess an ornament. She’ll be 18 this year and all grown up and next year take her ornaments with her. (Sniff, sniff)
24. Favorite dinner for Christmas? I think it’ll be this year! In October all the staff at the church I work at were given an appreciation lunch and they had us use a Raclette Grill. It was so fun and so Hubby and I decided to buy one. We found this one at Target and it’s not as fancy or big as some others but I think will work just fine. So this year with my family we are going to use it for our dinner and I’m so excited!
25. What do you want for Christmas this year? I want Little Pip to come WAY before Christmas!