Day: April 14, 2009

A Special Diagnosis

Posted on

I went back to the doctor today because I’ve found no relief since being on a triple dose of progesterone and antibiotics for three weeks. And the doctor finally figured out what was wrong.

I’m special.

Seriously, that’s what she said. And that’s all she knows. Except she said it like this:

YOU’RE CERTAINLY SPECIAL!

And I thought to myself, “why do you have to yell when you talk?”. Because she does. Just like Dora the Explorer.

And then she said, “I HAVEN’T SEEN A CASE LIKE THIS IN ALL THE YEARS I’VE BEEN PRACTICING!”

And I thought to myself, “Ya, and you’re like what, 24?”

She’s not really 24, I think she’s 35 but she looks like she’s 24 and therefore I don’t like her.

I take that back. I forgot the last time I was there she told me I was skinny so I do like her.

Where is this post going? I have no idea.

I don’t really have a diagnosis but we do have a plan. Sort of.

Option 1: At the very least she wants to do same day scope surgery to take a look at my innards. I had another ultrasound today and it didn’t show anything new other then the lining of my uterus is still 3x as thick as it should be. She’s thinking there might be a tear where the placenta connected to the uterine wall. Maybe. Or maybe I’m just special.

Option 2: While she’s in there poking around she could do an ablation. Or something like that. I can’t remember the exact word now but basically she would burn the lining of my uterus. This stops bleeding in about 40% of patients. About 30% it stops for a year. And the other it doesn’t do anything.

Option 3: Quit messing around and have a hysterectomy. She’d leave my ovaries so I wouldn’t have to go through menopause yet. And I’d be a candidate for the robot – who is also very special. The robot makes the surgery alot easier, less pain, less recovery, etc.

As much as I’d prefer a same day surgery with little recovery I’m leaning towards option 3. I’m fearful that if I continue with option 1 and/or option 2 I’ll end up with option 3 anyway. It’s getting to the point where I can’t even function some days and it’s just downright annoying.

We would appreciate your prayers as we make a decision. Things are CRAZY at work. I work for a church and we really feel under attack because since I came back from maternity leave there has been a “crisis” or health issue or death in the lives of at least one of the staff each week. Right now my boss is 5 hours away with her mom who just found out has late stage pancreatic cancer. And then Hubby’s mom has knee replacement surgery next week. The timing of that would actually be ok because if I go with option 3 I’d probably do it the first week in May and my mom will be here helping us with daycare. And then maybe by the time I’m ready to go back to work Hubby’s mom will be ready for kiddos again. And then we have Princess’s graduation so I need to work around that.

Updated to add: I just got off the phone with Dr’s nurse and we would actually do option 3 on April 28th – two weeks from today. Yikes! We have to decide by tomorrow. Please pray with us that we’d know what to do.  And I’m SO very thankful that this is all I have to deal with because I know it could be alot worse. I’ve been blessed beyond measure and we’ll get past this little annoyance with God’s help!

missy

Advertisements