Weekend wrap up

Posted on

This weekend we took a trip to visit my parents. Pat was able to get Friday off work and so we left Thursday late afternoon with plans to stay for a few days and come home late Saturday night.

Last minute we decided to take our monster dogs along. We have a border collie/lab, Allie, who’s a real sweetheart and very obedient. We also have a lab/husky, Ed, who’s 100 pounds of big fat naughty. He’s also very insecure, talks more than Angel and hops around like Happy Feet the penguin.  Anyway, for some reason I thought we should bring them along this time because they never get to go anywhere and we’ve had a pretty neglectful winter of not walking/running them.   Neither of the kids get too excited about Ed because he knocks them down with his monstrous tail but they both love Allie. Angel calls her “my Allie girl,” and so they were pretty excited to have them come along.

Thursday night we drove into my parent’s town around 8:00 pm.  We stopped to see my sister where she works and had ice cream and then headed to my parent’s house. It was just us Thursday night as my parents, sister, brother and sister-in-law all had to work. But we were planning to go to bed early and get some rest anyway.

Friday morning we had a little brunch party with everyone and Pat made omelets. Awhile back he watched an episode of Good Eats with Alton Brown that showed everything and anything about omelets. Since then he’s been an omelet perfectionist and frankly it’s quite annoying. I mean come on, does it really matter if it’s folded two or three times?  I suppose maybe it does, because his omelets are pretty tasty.

Unfortunately it was pretty cold at my parent’s the entire weekend and that was a huge bummer. We were hoping to ride horse, fish and spend alot of time outside. Instead we (meaning Angel and Caleb) trashed my parent’s house, we watched movies, took naps and ate alot of really unheathly good food.

We didn’t eat all bad though. Friday for supper we made buffalo chicken salad and wraps. Nothing better than that!

Friday night Pat, the kids, my sister and I went to the movie theatre to the movie Gnomeo and Juliet. It’s a little small town theatre and we love going. The movie was pretty good and Caleb actually made it through the entire thing with only one minor meltdown.  Since our calorie count was so low at supper we thought we should make up for it and ate alot of popcorn, soda, Apple O’s and Sour Worms.  It was awesome!

Saturday was kind of a repeat of Friday. No omelets unfortunately, but we did make potato salad, sloppy joes, leftover salad and fruit for lunch. We played and watched movies and napped. Even though it was pretty cold we took a few trips out to say hi to the horses.  At about 5:00 pm we decided we had to get out and do something so we loaded the car seats into my dad’s pickup and went on a little joy ride around town with a stop to see my brother Jim and sister-in-law Leana.   The excitement of the day was on our way back to my parent’s house. My dad was driving (very very slowly) on the wrong side of the road and Caleb was out of his car seat because we were trying to look at some turkeys along the side of the road (Caleb couldn’t see). A cop comes up behind us, Caleb is thrown back into the car seat, dad gets on the right side of the road and life goes on.  We were actually a little annoyed that he didn’t stop us, considering. 

Mom then told Angel the story of when she got pulled over when I was 3 years old or so and I had a complete meltdown and was crying and yelling asking the cop not to take my mommy to jail.  Mom kept going on and on and Angel was just staring at her like she’d lost her mind. We began to make fun of Mom but then Angel says, “That’s the best story ever.”  I guess she was enjoying it!

We had more leftovers for supper and then left town about 7:00 pm for our two-hour trip home.  Pat and I had rented an audio version of the book Decision Points by George W Bush (very good so far!) and so while the kids watched a movie, we listened to our book and the time went so quickly.

It’s always so good to be home. We didn’t hear a peep out of the kids all night long.  Pat had to be at all 3 services Sunday morning to run the screen, I was teaching a class at 9:30 am and we were helping in the nursery at 11:00 am. It was a long morning and Caleb was in complete meltdown mode by the time we walked out of the church.  And of course, us being the great parents we are, decided to go out to eat. At CiCi’s pizza. The unhealthiest, busiest place we could have gone.  As I was waiting in line poor Caleb was looking at me from Daddy’s arms just sobbing, he was so tired and hungry.  We made it through lunch with only a few minor spills and messes, ran a few other errands and got home around 2:00 pm just in time for all of us to crash.

I woke up from my pizza/pasta/dessert coma and decided I’m a horrible unhealthy person and that I needed to run. Even Pat’s warnings of how cold it was outside wasn’t going to stop me. I only ran 1.5 miles and it was very painful but at the same time it felt good.  I don’t think my 1.5 miles did much damage to the 46000 calories I consumed at lunch but I guess it’s a start.

I’m not even going to tell you that we then went and got groceries (really? more food?), were short on time so picked up chinese food for supper, had our youth volunteer team over for a meeting, and had strawberry shortcake for dessert.

And that my friends is our weekend wrap up and proof that I have no self-control what-so-ever.

(But the tide’s a turning. No unhealthy snacking and no soda today!)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s