Month: March 2012
Infertility. Hormonal imbalance. Cysts.
I’m not sure why, but I’ve been hesitant to share some things that we’ve been dealing with lately. I’ve always been one to kinda spew out anything and everything (ya think?) but this time around I don’t want to get myself and everyone else all worked up for nothing. After letting everything soak in for a day we realize we need some major prayer right now and so we’ve decided to share and ask you to pray.
So anyway, for a while now I’ve been having lower abdominal pain. I’ve always dealt with ovarian cysts and it’s felt similar to that but has gotten worse. I finally went to the doctor and she ordered an ultrasound. I had that last Thursday. The doctor called Friday afternoon (you know it’s bad when the doctor calls!) and said they did find a mass that is not a cyst. They don’t know for sure that it’s cancer and so I’m having a CT scan Monday morning. Unfortunately I don’t meet with the surgeon until Friday and so I get to wait all week, patiently I hope, until we find out what we’re dealing with. We of course are praying that it’s benign but either way I’ll have my ovaries removed because of the size of the mass and because of the pain I’m having.
(Side note for those who took part in the Francis Chan Bible study at Abiding. Do we pray that it’s benign or do we just pray for God’s will, whatever that may be? How ’bout we pray that God’s will is that it’s benign! ;))
It’s really hard not to worry and think about all the “what ifs”. And so that’s where we need some major prayer coverage right now. I don’t want to think about next Friday and what we’re going to hear. I don’t want to think about anything that has to do with cancer. Until we know for sure what’s going on. I just want to focus on today.
I was supposed to work Saturday night but I was having some major pain. I called in sick and then Pat decided that we needed a distraction. So we packed up the van and took a spontaneous trip to see my parents. One of my favorite places to be is on the boat on the river. The weather was beautiful, temperature of 85 and it’s the most relaxing place in the world. We took the boat out and I just layed there and rested and took tons of pictures and enjoyed the beautiful weather and the beautiful company of my kiddos, husband and parents.
My resting spot…
My dad and Caleb…
My mama and Angel…
I probably won’t be online much this week. Nothing like a cancer scare to really make you realize how short life is. And what’s really important.
I will update when we know more on Friday. Thank you so much for praying!
This post will be an attempt to get some things off my chest. And
possibly probably bore you with pointless thoughts about random things. Fun, huh!
Let us begin.
1. Am I the only one that sees a resemblance between my brother Jim and Justin Timberlake? He could seriously be a stunt double or something.
2. Speaking of my brother Jim, he and his wife have already had quite a travel adventure! They got stuck in Chicago because there were strikes at the airport in Germany. They stayed the night on a comfy bench in the airport and are now in D.C., hoping to fly out to Germany at 10pm tonight. I think that’s probably a 10 hour flight and then from there they have a 12 hour flight to South Africa! Prayers are much appreciated for them!
3. For the past year, at least, we haven’t had the kids in booster seats at the table. I finally had a complete breakdown the other day and in the middle of eating lunch, well actually not eating lunch because we were running around like crazy animals, I packed up the kids and drove to Wally World determined to find some type of booster chair that would work. I found this one. We love it. The kids not so much. (The picture is just play dough time so I don’t make them buckle.)
4. Who says those dollar stores sell nothing but junk? No one? Ok, good. Because I found something at The Dollar Tree that is amazing. These rubber bands. Angel has such thin hair and I’ve never been able to find any that stay in her hair. These are perfect. They don’t tie so tight that, well, that it’s too tight. And they don’t get loose at all.
5. Epic fail.
Ok, not really. More like answer to prayer. But I was still pretty discouraged today when I got my rejection letter for the nursing program. I didn’t have a very good GPA for my general classes (taken 15 years ago when I got my first Bachelors) so I kinda figured I wouldn’t get in this time. But I was still hoping with my good grades this semester, somewhat good score on my exam and good references that I’d get in. And it just doesn’t feel good to be rejected! As far as an answer to prayer goes, I found out a few months ago that they are getting rid of the 2-year program and this fall will be the last class. I’ve been thinking about just getting my 4-year right away anyway because I have alot of my generals done. So it turns out that’s what I’ll have to do anyway.
6. My children are beating the crap out of each other right now. At what point should I intervene? I think I usually intervene too soon and don’t give them an opportunity to work it out. But then again, it’s very likely they might kill each other.
(4 hours later.)
My word, that was fun. (Not.) Caleb can be such a bully. I used to be one of those people who would judge parents whose kid was a bully. Why don’t they do something about it, right? Well, let me tell you. After the last 9 years of adventures I’m the last one to judge anyone about anything. Parenting is hard. Marriage is hard. Life is hard. And sometimes after many many years of praying, God says yes and blesses you with a wild, hyper, strong-willed, rebellious little boy. There’s a fine line between breaking his spirit and personality and having a little peace in the house! It brings us to our knees though and Lord willing he’ll use that spunk to bring glory to God!
7. Lucky for them, all they have to do is shine their silly smiles and I go weak in the knees. So thankful for my kiddos.
8. Both of our cameras are junk and so this weekend we bought a new one. It had some pretty cool features on it. Like this:
Hey there baby.
I say “had” because we had to return it today because I suck at keeping us on budget and we realized now was not the time to buy a new camera. Thankfully it was one of the few times I kept the receipt. So, I hate to break it to ya, but we’ll be back to dark, fuzzy pictures in no time!
9. How bout we end on a good note? Overcome by Jeremy Camp.
Now we just have to believe it. And live it.
I believe Lord. Help my unbelief!
My brother Jim and his wife Leana are leaving tomorrow for a 3 month adventure in South Africa. Leana is from South Africa and they’ll be visiting her family. After they return in June they’ll be moving to Florida, many many miles away from us! We are both sad and excited for them. We’ve spent most of our life in South Dakota and so to have them so far away will not be fun! But we are looking forward to visiting!
This weekend we had a little going away partay for them. It was just our family, but it was perfect. My sister drove down 3 hours and it was one of the few weekends that my other brother was in town. We debated whether to go out or eat at home and finally decided to eat at home and have a pasta bar. Yum!
We hired a chef to help us cook everything!
Oh wait! That’s Princess! Yes, in addition to my whole family being here, Princess surprised us and was in town for a visit. It was just for a few hours but it was so awesome to see her beautiful face!
When we weren’t stuffing our faces with pasta, salad or fruit, we played Wii. My sister brought it down and it was so much fun. The Michael Jackson Experience dance game and bowling were the two favorites. My sister would very likely kill me if I post the video of her and Angel dancing with MJ. So I’ll post a picture of Patrick bowling.
And we also just hung out and enjoyed each other’s company!
At one point Leana called her mom in South Africa. She was talking in her native language (pronounced Africans) and Angel had to go over and see what in the world was going on. She just sat there watching Leana. It was so cute!
After awhile we all headed to Cherry Berry for a little dessert.
We also managed to take a family picture, which I thought turned out great!
After Cherry Berry it was back to our house to hang out and relax. Eventually my parents had to head for home but us kids were wanting to take Jim and Leana out for their last American meal for the next three months. We called Grama Barb and as usual she and the kids’ cousins (are amazing!) and were willing to come over and watch Angel and Caleb so that we could have a little time without chasing kiddos. Jim and Leana picked Buffalo Wild Wings and it was so good. Hot, but good!
Blazin’ hot wings! The hottest ones available.
No problem for my studly husband! (Ok, honestly he said his tongue and lips were on fire!)
Here’s a video my mom made for Jim.
And a 2012 picture of the four of us!
It was such a great weekend! We love you Jim and Leana and we are excited for you as you begin this new adventure!